BYEN Youth Environmental Leadership Team
For 2012-2013 School Year
Starting at a special overnight training! Aug 21-23, 2012
The BYEN Youth Environmental Leadership Team is a group of youth leaders, between the ages of 16 and 19 years old who are in environmental youth employment programs operating in the cities of Pittsfield, Holyoke, Worcester, Somerville, Lawrence and Boston during the summer. This group of young people from cities all over the state will build leadership skills, connect with one another and give ideas for BYEN’s work to support youth engaged in environmental issues (including a statewide conference).
THE YOUTH ENVIRONMENTAL LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (August 21-23, 2012)
The BYEN Youth Environmental Leadership Institute (YELI) is a three-day, two-night, to be held at the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Camp Noble View in Russell, MA on August 21, 22, & 23, 2012. Taking advantage of the natural setting as an outdoor classroom, the Institute’s twenty participants will develop individual leadership skills, build their network of connections to natural resource conservation professionals and each other, and lay the foundation for on-going collaborative efforts on urban environmental issues across the state and throughout the school-year.
GOALS FOR THE INSTITUTE
- Gain leadership skills to advance work on environmental issues in cities across the Commonwealth
- Deepen awareness of urban environmental issues and natural resource conservation initiatives taking place in Massachusetts
- Become a team of youth leaders
- Prepare to be role models in environmental action and leadership for their peers
- Initiate plans for year-round, statewide work
- Expand the definition of environmental leadership to reflect the cultural diversity of our state
- Massachusetts resident
- Between the ages of 16 and 19 years old
- In environmental youth employment programs operating in the cities of Pittsfield, Holyoke, Worcester, Somerville, Lawrence and Boston during this summer.
- Able to attend and participate in YELI
- Able to participate in a YELI pre-trip meeting during the week beginning Monday, August 13th (in-person if in Boston, over phone if outside Boston)
- Willing to participate in possible additional trips and opportunities
- Willing to participate in once a month meetings (in-person if in Boston, over phone if outside Boston)
- Intends to stay connected with the nominating group throughout the school-year in order to represent the group and take information back to them
- Interested in developing leadership skills
- Cares about environmental work and wants to learn more!
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted by nomination only. Once nominated by a current or former supervisor, please fill out this application. You will receive an e-mail or phone call about scheduling your interview. Applications are due July 20, 2012.
If you have any questions, call Helen at 617.345.5322 ext. 110.