What is BASB?
Boston After School & Beyond is a public-private partnership that seeks to ensure that every child in Boston has the opportunity to develop to his or her full potential. Boston Beyond’s role is to expand learning and skill development opportunities for students.
Boston Beyond mobilizes partnerships among program providers, philanthropy, business and higher education, and the City of Boston, especially the Boston Public Schools. Boston Beyond advances student learning by leveraging the strengths of program providers, both large and small, through a coordinated approach to school and community partnerships.
The goal of this initiative is to help program leaders, funders, and city officials – both locally and nationally – learn from and adopt best practices in their own work.
What are the benefits of joining the BASB network?
- Access to professional development events
- Receive a yearly dashboard report with data and analysis on your program (and be benchmarked against our community as a whole)
- Gain access to experts in the fields of expanded learning, youth development, and social-emotional learning
- Joining a learning community of fellow program providers with whom to share best practices and collaborate on program improvement
- Estimated yearly in-kind value of $9000
What are the requirements for members of the BASB network?
- Track your student attendance, enrollment, and demographic info in CitySpan, our city-wide network
- Administer a youth survey at end of program (SAYO-Y)
- Host an observer for a program observation (APT)
- Certify one person from your organization to become a BASB Certified Observer (This is a 1.5 day training with 2 observation visits that will allow you to observe and assess other programs like your own. Please note that BASB covers all costs for the training, valued at $1500)
- Allow BASB to access data and include it in aggregate analyses
- Additional surveys are available if you would like a more in-depth analysis of your program
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does it cost money to join the network?
No. Joining the BASB network is completely free, and actually provides programs with an estimated in-kind value of $9000 yearly.
Do I have to join the network to gain access to information on best practices?
No. If you can’t commit to joining our network right now but are interested in the work we do, please feel free to visit our website (bostonbeyond.org) or our insight center (insight.bostonbeyond.org) to learn more.
How do I join the network?
For more information about getting involved, reach out to our Measurement & Improvement Coordinator, Emily Dodge, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also run several springtime events for new and prospective partners, including a breakfast in March, so keep an eye out for more information on those!